Preschool Teacher Opening at Wallingford Co-op Preschool
Wallingford Preschool seeks a nurturing, motivated and creative teacher to join our cooperative preschool community and teach our 4- to 5-year-old class.
This play-based, Pre-Kindergarten class meets Monday through Thursday from 12:30 – 3:30 pm.
Application deadline: February 23, 2018
Classes beginning Fall 2018
We are looking for a qualified candidate who:
- Has prior experience in a licensed child-care, preschool or early elementary setting;
- Has a degree in Early Childhood Education or related field;
- Is a compassionate, community-oriented teacher who is comfortable working with children and parents in a cooperative classroom setting;
- Has a flexible schedule allowing for a monthly evening parent meeting, monthly board meeting, and other occasional administrative meetings outside the classroom;
- Promotes positive social skills, emotional growth and anti-bias curriculum in the classroom;
- Has a strong commitment to promoting communication with families and other teachers in the preschool;
- Possesses knowledge of and experience with play-based curriculum;
- Is familiar with the expectations for incoming kindergartners and capable of preparing students for the transition to elementary school.
Wallingford Preschool offers:
- A competitive salary range that covers attendance at parent, board and other school meetings;
- Enthusiastic parent support;
- Opportunities for professional growth;
- Small class ratio 1:5 (with working parents in classroom daily);
- A great location in the Wallingford neighborhood near Meridian Park;
- A large, open, bright setting with a wonderful inventory of supplies and equipment;
- Excellent on-site playground with a large sandbox.
The Wallingford PreK teacher works closely with both parents and children in our cooperative program. The teacher provides appropriate lessons and activities in an environment geared toward a child’s emotional, intellectual, social, and physical growth.
The teacher gives direction to the parents and serves as a model for working with young children. The Wallingford Cooperative Preschool is affiliated with North Seattle College’s Parent Education Program, which provides a Parent Education Instructor for the class and program guidelines for the preschool.
Duties of the teacher include:
- Plan and implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum that includes a variety of hands-on experiences to enhance and encourage children’s development. The curriculum should be presented within a predictable daily structure but allow for flexibility based on students’ needs and interests.
- Share and communicate curriculum with parents on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Orient parents to the role of assistant teacher. Supervise parents in the daily operation of the classroom.
- Collaborate with other Wallingford Preschool Teachers to create a curriculum that enables children to build skills and experiences from year to year as they move through our three-year program.
- Manage materials and resources for the children’s activities. Make recommendations to the board for purchasing equipment and supplies for the school.
- Work and consult with the NSC Parent Education Instructor to coordinate a high-quality support program for our families.
- Conduct beginning-of-the-year school visits to orient families to the class.
- Attend monthly board meetings and evening parent meetings on mutually agreeable days. (Board meetings are held on Friday afternoons this year.)
- Participate in school events like socials, open houses, preschool fairs (usually 4-5 each year).
- Attend to light administrative duties, including leading parent/teacher conferences and writing teacher evaluations for children applying to other schools.
- Develop and complete a professional development plan to share with the Parent Education Instructor and the school board. Attend workshops, classes, and/or observe in other programs to develop teaching skills.
- Oversee compliance with the Health and Safety Guidelines in the Risk Management Manual provided by NSC.
- Comply with ADA requirements, including being able to lift and carry 35-60 lbs.
- Be CPR & First Aid Certified (Infant to Adult) prior to the beginning of classes.
How to apply:
- Please prepare the following:
- A cover letter describing your preschool teaching experience, your interest in the PreK class, and why you’d like to teach at Wallingford Co-op Preschool;
- Your resume;
- The names and phone numbers of 3 professional references;
- A sample lesson plan for one week of preschool instruction for a 4- to 5-year-old class, including a literacy, math, and art component for each day.
- Send an email to email@example.com with the subject Wallingford PreK Teaching Position, and attach the documents you have prepared.
Thank you for your interest in our school!
For more information and to determine if the Wallingford Preschool is the right fit, please visit us online at www.wallingfordcooppreschool.com.
Wallingford Preschool is an equal opportunity employer.