Sandhurst Cooperative Preschool is hiring a 3-5s preschool teacher for 2018-2019. Join our little preschool on its big mission – learn through play, build community + grow as parents!
Accepting applications through May 4, 2018
3 to 5’s Schedule:
- Monday-Tuesday: 9am-12pm, Wednesday-Thursday: 12pm-3pm.
- Classes currently run Sept through mid June and follow the SPS holiday calendar
- Average hours per week: 14 to 16
- Additional hours per month: 4 to 7 (including board meeting, parent meeting, and
- An early childhood education background and/or experience in a preschool setting
- Prior experience teaching preschool-age children
- Previous cooperative school experience preferred
- Experience developing and implementing an age-appropriate, play-based curriculum
- Excellent communication skills with children and adults
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and warm personality.
- Must be comfortable working with children and parents in a diverse cooperative classroom
- A desire to be part of an inclusive, dynamic, community-based program.
- Submitting to ADA requirements, including being able to lift and carry 35-60 lbs.
- CPR Certification
- A competitive salary range
- Opportunities for growth
- Enthusiastic parent support in a well-established school with a strong cooperative community
- A large, well-equipped facility in the great NE Seattle neighborhood of View Ridge
- An all-inclusive environment which values diversity and each individual in our community
The teacher’s role in our parent cooperative program requires working closely with both the parents and their children. The teacher provides an environment for children to grow emotionally, intellectually, socially, and physically. The pre-school teacher provides the parents with direction and serves as a model for working with young children. The teacher will:
- Plan and implement an age and developmentally-appropriate play-based curriculum which maintains the high standards of Sandhurst Co-op Preschool
- Plan a variety of first-hand experiences that will enhance and encourage children’s independence, self-help abilities, and social/emotional as well as cognitive development
- Establish a predictable but flexible schedule and environment that allows children a balance of active and quiet play, providing smooth transitions between activities
- Share/communicate curriculum with parents on a daily, weekly and monthly basis via email, in person and in newsletter. Orient parents to the role of assistant teacher. Supervise parent in the daily operation of the classroom.
- Listen and respond to children at their level with the utilization of positive guidance techniques
- Take responsibility for organizing, setting up, and putting away materials and resources for the
children’s activities before and after class
- Spend class time observing, interacting, and participating in activities with children
- Demonstrate best practices in classroom activities
- Utilize both the indoor and outdoor classroom spaces on a regular basis
- Work closely with all other Sandhurst Co-op teachers to create and operate a high quality,
cohesive educational program
- Attend monthly class-by-class parent meetings, monthly All School Board meetings, and
extracurricular school-wide events (3 to 5 events per year)
- Make recommendations to the All School Board for purchasing equipment and supplies for the
- Follow Health and Safety guidelines included in the Risk Management Manual
- Submit to ADA requirements, including being able to lift and carry 35-60 pounds
- Serve as a team member, along with the Parent Educator and child’s parent, to develop
individual goals for each child as necessary.
- Develop a yearly professional development plan to share with the parent education instructor
and the All School Board at the September board meeting
- Attend workshops, classes, and/or observe other programs to improve teaching skills and
broaden the curriculum
TO APPLY: Send applications to email@example.com or by mail to: Sandhurst Cooperative Preschool, attn: Hiring Committee, 4710 NE 70th St, Seattle, WA 98115.
Application packet should include:
1) Letter of introduction
3) A sample lesson plan
4) 2-3 professional references with contact information.
Sandhurst Cooperative Preschool is affiliated with the North Seattle College cooperative preschool system. We are an EOE employer and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national or ethnic origin, and welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds. Please note that we are not an ADA accessible facility.